NPC for LOTR campaign.

Trying to create an NPC for my LOTR campaign. Campaign Cartographer + Picture to People.


Second attempt at creating coat of arms for Barukkhizdin.

Second attempt, same technique as before.

The writings this time are done in Moria's runes (not sure if I should use Erebor's runes, will check). Also, font used is from http://www.dwarrowscholar.com/

I have tried to use some of the effects on the writing, but with little success.


First attempt at creating the coat of arms for Barukkhizdin

This is my first attempt at creating a coat of arms for the city of Barukkhizdin, from the (dead) Decipher's Lord of the Rings. 

I used the Character Artist plugin for Campaign Cartographer, and then edited the result to have a black-and-white drawing effect.

Next steps are to use runes rather than Latin characters to write the war cry on the shield, and to give in an effect of engraving. 


Quality education for all

A TED talk about the learning crisis


Amel Karboul tells us that she is here today because of a decision. When the Tunisia became indipendent, the new president decided that 20% of the GDP should be devoted to create free high quality education for all the boys and girls of the country. Minds, rather than bridges and roads, were deemed to be a more important infrastructure to build.

We should have the boldness to take similar decision to address the global learning crisis.

What is the learning crisis?

The huge number of children who are either out of school, or are in school but not learning. It is estimated that without action, by 2030 half of the children will be in such a condition.

The solution to the crisis however is at hand: if every country would apply the best-practice which are currently applied in the countries which have similar GDP / income, the learning crisis would be solved in just one generation. The schools have to become used to deliver results.

There are of course problems to solve: there could be too little teachers, or the population could be distributed over a very large area, like, for example, people living in Amazonia. It would be very hard to have a number of high quality and specialized teachers distributed over such a vast territory, and it would be impractical to move the students to capitals for them to attend school there.

Brazil developed an interesting system to solve this problem: specialized content teachers deliver lessons on-line, while local tutoring teachers help the students on-site. Communication channel is two-way, so the students can make questions and interact with the remote teacher as well.

Despite the technical difficulties, this helped a large number of students to attend lessons which would have been impossible to deliver otherwise. This had another benefit: the content teachers become sort of "stars", thus making the teaching profession attractive to students, who will have more respect of it.

There are two aspects at least to take into consideration, when dealing with such reforms: how to organize the reform and how to finance it.

For the first point, the approach is to gather all the relevant stakeholders (students, teachers, unions, parents, government representative, ngo) so that the reforms, once they are agreed upon, are shared among all. 

In the implementation phase, weekly checks are done, to review the progresses, which includes on-site checks to verify that what should be done is done.

For the financial parts, the funding should come primarly from the state (remember Tunisia). However, if a state requires to lend the money to implement such a reform, they developed special financial programs to remove the burden of the interests from that.

Putting such reforms in place will allow to have quality education for all.


About learning


What a guy was able to do when he moved away from fear.


Un mondo migliore

Non può esistere un mondo migliore di quello di oggi, nel quale tutti continuano a fare le cose che fanno adesso esattamente nel modo in cui lo fanno adesso.

Mi sembra un'affermazione ovvia, ma se continuiamo a fare quello che facciamo, otteremo gli stessi risultati che abbiamo ottenuto fino a questo momento.

Che non sono necessariamente brutti. Ma se vogliamo un mondo migliore, non sono sufficienti.


Allora vuol dire che per avere un mondo migliore noi dobbiamo diventare migliori. Più istruiti. Più compassionevoli. Meno disposti a tollerare le ingiustizie. Migliori insomma, qualunque sia la vostra definizione di migliore.

Non si può aspettare che gli altri rendano il mondo attorno a noi un posto migliore. Dobbiamo incominciare noi.